Victoria Bowling Club

The Victoria Bowling Club had been established in 1896 by Messrs WL Meek, DT Stuart and BM Molineaux, with eight rinks in Claremont Grove, off Austin Street. It started with 60 members and by 1906 it had 120. Presidents in the first 10 years included prominent early Mt Victoria identities such as DT Stuart, RC Hamerton, Francis Penty, F Townsend and J Mackay.

The Club’s first pavilion was built in 1898 and the original plans (part of which is shown here to the right) give a good idea of its style, although it was twice added to in those first 10 years.