Find out more about what happened in the streets of Mt Victoria – listed in alphabetical order below.
12 Albany Ave was one of several houses built by George Baker
13 Austin St was the residence of Charles Baeyertz the writer and critic
Ten Austin Street properties (10, 20, 21, 26, 28, 38, 67, 83, 89, 140) are among the 39 houses of particular interest featured in the Wellington City Council’s Mt Victoria Heritage Study Report. Refer to Appendix 5.
The Basin Reserve is an historic cricket ground located on the edge of Mt Victoria.
Numbers 11,13, and 15 are some interesting places just off Brougham St.
17 Brougham St (Owd Trafford) and Art Deco Mt Victoria
50 Brougham Street is the site of the former Crossways Community Centre.
70 Brougham Street, home of the Baker family – including property developer George Baker.
89 Brougham St – designed by Francis Penty for J C Edwards
The colourful house at 105 Brougham Street was once one of the grandest houses in Mt Victoria. It is architecturally significant, as it was designed by Thomas Turnball, one of the most important Wellington architects of the Victoria era.
111 Brougham St (Ace House) was built for Alexander Gray, and designed by architect Samuel Hurst Seager.
Many Brougham Street properties (25, 31, 64, 70, 71, 77-79, 87, 89, 91, 111, 115, 134) are among the 39 houses of particular interest featured in the Wellington City Council’s Mt Victoria Heritage Study Report. Refer to Appendix 5.
The Embassy Theatre is a famous cinema on Kent Terrace, that has played host to important film events including a premier of a Lord of the Rings movie.
The Greek Orthodox Church in Hania Street represents a long and special association of the Greek community with the suburb of Mt Victoria.
6 Hawker Street and Pat Lawlor
Bernard Freyberg’s family lived at a number of addresses in Hawker St: 40 and 60 Hawker St then 27 Hawker Street, now 43.
The Embassy Theatre is a famous and iconic building on Kent Terrace.
A statue of Queen Victoria stands in the centre of Kent and Cambridge Terraces.
Levy St is named after Lipman Levy.
Lipman Street is names after Lipman Levy.
8 McFarlane Street was the home of Captain Renner, sea captain.
12 Marjoribanks St – residence and business of James Farley, butcher.
28 Marjoribanks Street was the home of James Harper Mouat. One of his relatives lived at 103 Marjoribanks St.
The mountain which gives its name to the suburb has a number of interesting sites.
Town belt – Te Ranga a Hiwi ridge.
During the war Mt Victoria was the site of a military camp.
7 Paterson Street was built in 1869 for William Waring Taylor in “fancy colonial” style
Ettrick Cottage at 19 Paterson Street was built in the early 1870s at 7 Austin Street and owned by Samuel Atkins and his daughters for 81 years, before being moved to Paterson Street in 1994.
Pat Lawlor Close
55 Pirie Street was built by George Humphries and lived in by Edward Bonthorne, who proposed the famous 1909 plan for the Basin Reserve.
58 Pirie Street, and George Winder
Read about some more interesting Pirie St houses
Pirie Street was the site of a tram crash in 1920.
At the top of Pirie Street by the bus tunnel is the Victoria Bowling Club.
Porritt Avenue was named after Sir Arthur Porritt.
15 Porritt Ave (Rahiri) – home of Thomas (Tamati) George Poutawera.
20 Porritt Avenue was one of several houses built by George Baker.
49 Porritt Avenue is where Kate Edger lived, the first woman in New Zealand to get a university degree.
Shannon Street is named after George Shannon.
Read about the history of Stafford Street in this publication by Joanna Newman.
Tutchen Street is named after the Tutchen family, who once owned a dairy farm in the area.
The Victoria Bowling Club is located at the top of Pirie Street.